Friday, April 12, 2013

The Dead Haunt Me


June 10, 1861, Battle of Bethel Church.
A Union soldier’s poem after the battle.

Here I lie in this silent barricade
Bodies here, they do not restrain
As their lives fade
There is nothing they can regain

I cannot ever fully describe
How bloody it is here
More than scalping from an indian tribe
Is their blood so clear

The limbs are spewed
Faces are mottled
What this war has brewed
Cannot be kept bottled

For they are nothing but dead
Or soon to be so
The rest have fled
Yet I cannot not go

Oh how they brawled
So brave and true
Women would awe
At the things they would do

Yet I saw their bodies thrashing
As they died
Their teeth gnashing
Because of pain they cried

Cry after cry
Soul after soul
Oh my God why?
This burns like hot coal

How it plagues my mind!
Pierces my heart!
There is no love to find
No, not in this part.

The families cannot see them anymore
The friends, they cannot catch him when he falls
They will not be seen when opened is the door
And he shall not answer when for him they call

Never shall the father be seen
By the child so new
Never will the bride gleam
At her father who died in the morning dew

Their wives, now widows
The children, now poor
Never to be seen out of windows
Never to walk on their home floor

Chances of kin now are no more
Happiness for them is vanished
Never has sadness bitten this hard before
Thou serving is dished

My good friends
My fellow warriors
I wish this wasn’t the end
Of your story so mar
Now my head lilt
With the sound of gunshot one by one
My heart so full with guilt
This war physically but not mentally done

My God, my God, how I need you now
For I cannot go another fortnight
I do not know how
My people are dead because of this fight

Now I must go on
And go through hell again
Even though they are gone
Never forgetting the cries of my men

This is it
This is how it shall be
My love mashed like grit
While the dead haunt me

No comments:

Post a Comment